SubjectRe: Staging, place holder for better company/community development model
On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 12:41 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > Staging drivers will typically be an extremely huge amount of crap that
> > just floods mailing lists. I don't care about those I don't read, but I
> > would prefer to not have wireless staging drivers cross the wireless
> > list which makes it seem like somebody is actually interested in those
> > drivers.
>
> I was asked by the wireless maintainer and some of the wireless
> developers to send such patches to the list, so that everyone knows
> exactly what is going on in the staging tree.

This is a misrepresentation, a number of people have asked for this on
specific drivers they are actively working on and that already are in
usable shape.

> That's not true, some of them are being reworked as you type, to be a
> "real" wireless driver eventually.
>
> Incremental development over time is sometimes a good thing, instead of
> total rewrites :)

Except it doesn't work for most of the wireless drivers you've sucked in
without asking any wireless developers whether that makes any sense or
not.

johannes

  Last update: 2009-03-09 22:23    [W:0.267 / U:0.100 seconds]