SubjectRe: AMD 64 Box is not able to boot with latest -tip

* Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinder@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 17:02 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:
> > > My AMD 64 Box was not able to boot with latest -tip and kernel is
> > > dumping.
> > >
> > > Because of hot weather and not proper cooling I cannot debug the problem
> > > so only thing I can tell is:
> > >
> > > BAD : cb553adb4e83bc
> > >
> > > Good : f0ef03985130287c6c
> > >

> > You realize you left absolutely no usable information in that post, I
> > hope... not a single bit of detail about the system other than it having
> > an AMD CPU.
>
> Oops, I have send my configs file and other related info
> various times to LKML and Ingo.

You should attach such information to every separate new
bugreport.

> Anyhow now I made a git tree for it ;)
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jaswinder/kernel-cfgs.git;a=summary

that's not very useful for a quick review on lkml. Also, kernel
configs change between kernel versions so that link can go
stale. So it's always useful to attach the very config you saw a
breakage with to the bugreport.

You say that the "kernel dumps" - does this mean you got a
kernel oops during bootup? If possible you should try to capture
the first oops/warning that triggers either via a serial console
or via a digital camera. pause_on_oops=10000 can be useful too
to make sure you capture the first oops in its entirety.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-03-08 11:03    [W:1.016 / U:0.136 seconds]