    SubjectRe: Staging, place holder for better company/community development model

    On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <> wrote:
    > With future devices we may want to create a better path for
    > integration into upstream drivers. But I also want users to get
    > support for the devices as soon as those devices hit shelves in the
    > market, maybe even before.
    The situation prior to the staging/ tree, was that niche drivers often
    lived outside of the kernel tree, without much exposure and without
    API consistency.

    With staging/ available, there should be no reason for either a
    company or individual(s) to develop a Linux driver outside the kernel

    A driver can live there until enough momentum (devices in the field,
    in Linux developer hands) exists to have the driver reworked for main
    tree clearance.

    At least, with this in the back of my head I submitted my driver to
    staging which would otherwise live in a secret place. I have contacted
    the hardware vendor and they are (not yet) interested in Linux
    support. I am counting the days before they will.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-03-09 00:05    [W:0.020 / U:1.060 seconds]