SubjectRe: [RFC] atomic highmem kmap page pinning
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:46:33 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:07:17AM +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:26:00 -0500 (EST)
> > Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org> wrote:

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > > Suppose this sequence of events:
> > >
> > > - dma_map_page(..., DMA_FROM_DEVICE) is called on a highmem page.
> > >
> > > --> - vaddr = page_address(page) is non null. In this case
> > > it is likely that the page has valid cache lines
> > > associated with vaddr. Remember that the cache is VIVT.
> > >
> > > --> - for (i = vaddr; i < vaddr + PAGE_SIZE; i += 32)
> > > invalidate_cache_line(i);
> > >
> > > *** preemption occurs in the middle of the loop above ***
> > >
> > > - kmap_high() is called for a different page.
> > >
> > > --> - last_pkmap_nr wraps to zero and flush_all_zero_pkmaps()
> > > is called. The pkmap_count value for the page passed
> > > to dma_map_page() above happens to be 1, so it is
> > > unmapped. But prior to that, flush_cache_kmaps()
> > > cleared the cache for it. So far so good.
> >
> > Thanks for kind explanation.:)
> >
> > I thought kmap and dma_map_page usage was following.
> >
> > kmap(page);
> > dma_map_page(...)
> > invalidate_cache_line
> >
> > kunmap(page);
>
> No, that's not the usage at all. kmap() can't be called from the
> contexts which dma_map_page() is called from (iow, IRQ contexts as
> pointed out in the paragraph I underlined above.)
>
> We're talking about dma_map_page() _internally_ calling kmap_get_page()
> to _atomically_ and _safely_ check whether the page was kmapped. If
> it was kmapped, we need to pin the page and return its currently mapped
> address for cache handling and then release that reference.

Thanks, Russel.
I see. That was thing I missed. :)

> None of the existing kmap support comes anywhere near to providing a
> mechanism for this because it can't be used in the contexts under which
> dma_map_page() is called.

Right.

> If we could do it with existing interfaces, we wouldn't need a new
> interface would we?

OK.
As previous said, I don't like kmap_high's irq disable.
It's already used in many place. so irq'disable effect might be rather big.

How about new interface which is like KM_IRQ's kmap_atomic slot
with serializing kmap_atomic_lock?

Let's Cced other experts.

--
Kinds Regards
Minchan Kim

  Last update: 2009-03-05 01:29    [W:0.451 / U:0.180 seconds]