SubjectRe: Replacing VFAT as filesystem on removeable media
Date
On Tuesday 31 March 2009 16:21:37 Xavier Bestel wrote:
> I'm speaking out of my ass here, but seeing how Microsoft managed to
> sneak some patents into something as trivial as FAT, I'm pretty sure MTP
> is a hell of a minefield.

That did occur to me too but I was somewhat hopeful that perhaps this would be
mitigated by the (eventual?) adoption as a usb.org standard.

The spec and an adopters' legal agreement around it is here:
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/MTP_1.0.zip

I scanned the agreement and it didn't look like it was obviously evil but I'm
not really qualified to make that judgement ;-) It had some promising words in
it like "zero royalty" but I would be much happier if someone with legal
knowhow (and preferably experience of the usb.org standards procedures)
decoded it for me / us!

Assuming the spec is legally "safe" to implement, I would have thought it
would be generally beneficial for device manufacturers to support both
"initiator" and "responder" endpoints under Linux.

Cheers,
Mark

  Last update: 2009-03-31 17:55    [W:0.039 / U:2.164 seconds]