    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.29
    Date
    Am Freitag, 27. März 2009 schrieb Linus Torvalds:

    > In other words, the main Makefile version is totally useless in
    > non-linear development, and is meaningful _only_ at specific release
    > times. In between releases, it's essentially a random thing, since
    > non-linear development means that versioning simply fundamentally isn't
    > some simple monotonic numbering. And this is exactly when
    > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is a huge deal.

    Well, you guys always see things from a deeply involved kernel developer
    _using git_ POV - which I do understand and accept (unlike hats nobody can
    change his head after all ;-), but there are other approaches to kernel
    source code, e.g. git is also really great for tracking the kernel
    development without any further involvement apart from using the resulting
    trees.

    I build kernel rpms from your git tree, and have a bunch of BUILDs lying
    around. Sure, I can always fetch the tarballs or fiddle with git, but why?
    Having a Makefile start commit allows to make sure with simplest tools,
    say "head Makefile" that a locally copied 2.6.29 tree is really a 2.6.29,
    and not something moving towards the next release. That's all, nothing
    less, nothing more, it's just a strong hint which blend is in the box.

    I always wonder, why Arjan does not intervene for his kerneloops.org
    project, since your approach opens a window of uncertainty during the merge
    window when simply using git as an efficient fetch tool.

    Ducks and hides now,
    Pete