    SubjectRe: Elaboration on "Equivalent fix must already exist in Linus' tree"
    Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    > While extending the documentation for submitting Linux wireless bug
    > reports [1] we note the stable series policy on patches -- that of
    > having an equivalent fix already in Linus' tree. I find this
    > documented in Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt but I'm curious if
    > there is any other resource which documents this or elaborates on this
    > a bit more. I often tell people about this rule or push _really_ hard
    > on testing "upstream" but some people tend to not understand. I think
    > that elaborating a little on this can help and will hopefully create
    > more awareness around the importance of trees like Stephen's
    > linux-next tree.

    Just have people google for GregKH's copious messages, telling people a
    fix needs to be upstream before it goes into -stable.

    Typically you make things easy by emailing stable@kernel.org with a
    commit id.

    There are only two exceptions:
    * fix is upstream, but needs to be modified for -stable
    * fix is not needed at all in upstream, but -stable still needs it

    Jeff

      Last update: 2009-03-03 06:59    [W:0.052 / U:62.108 seconds]