SubjectRe: Question about PRIVATE_FUTEX
From
Hi, Perter.
Thanks for joining this thread.

My concern is page reclaimer can reclaim the user page which have
futex between get_fuex_key and get_futex_value_locked.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 11:12 +0900, Minchan Kim wrote:
>> Hi, Peter and Eric.
>>
>> I am not expert about futex.
>> I am sorry if this is dumb question.
>>
>> If we use private futex, get_futex_key don't call get_user_pages_fast
>> which pins page at page table.
>
> But also drops that page ref at the end of get_futex_key(). The whole
> and only purpose of using get_user_pages_fast() is to get at the mapping
> data without having to obtain the mmap_sem.

Thanks.
I understand. It's not only private futex.

>> Then, get_futex_value_locked calls __cpy_from_user_inatomic with
>> pagefault_disable.
>>
>> Who make sure the user page is mapped at app's page table ?
>
> Nobody, all uses of get_futex_value_locked() have to deal with it
> returning -EFAULT.

Does It mean that __copy_from_user_inatomic in get_futex_value_locked
would be failed rather than sleep?
In fact, I don't make sure _copy_from_user_inatomic function's meaning.
As far as I understand, It never sleep. It just can be failed in case
of user page isn't mapped. Is right ?
Otherwise, it can be scheduled with pagefault_disable which increments
preempt_count. It is a atomic bug.
If my assume is right, it can be failed rather than sleep.
At this case, other architecture implements __copy_from_user_inatomic
with __copy_from_user which can be scheduled. It also can be bug.

Hmm, Now I am confusing.

> Most of this is legacy btw, from when futex ops were done under the
> mmap_sem. Back then we couldn't fault because that would cause mmap_sem
> recursion. Howver, now that we don't hold mmap_sem anymore we could use
> a faulting user access like get_user().
> Darren has been working on patches to clean that up, some of those are
> already merged in the -tip tree.

Thanks for good information.
It will be very desirable way to enhance kernel performance.

--
Kinds regards,
Minchan Kim

  Last update: 2009-03-27 11:59    [W:0.058 / U:0.048 seconds]