SubjectRe: ext3 IO latency measurements (was: Linux 2.6.29)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Theodore Tso wrote:

> You can, actually, but it requires hacking /boot/grub/menu.list. The
> boot command option "rootflags=noatime" should do it, if their initrd
> scripts are at all sane (and they honor rootfstype, so they probably
> do also honor rootflags).

Not when I tried it. It just causes the initrd to be mounted noatime, and
then the real root filesystem gets mounted atime again.

Maybe I screwed up. But I don't think so.

> The question is whether we can make Fedora 11 and OpenSUSE do the
> right thing now that this has become a highly visible discussion. I'm
> actually fairly optimistic on this front. (Maybe some distro folks
> will care to chime in on whether upcoming releases of F11 and OpenSuSE
> can be changed to DTRT?)

And what's the argument for not doing it in the kernel?

The fact is, "atime" by default is just wrong.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-03-26 18:27    [W:1.373 / U:0.056 seconds]