SubjectRe: fastboot: unpacking initramfs faster
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Andreas Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 23:11 +0100, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> > Andreas Robinson <andr345@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I then looked at multithreaded decompression and found that neither gzip
> > > files nor deflate streams provide enough information (eg block lengths)
> > > to let you share the decompression among threads.
> > >
> > > It can be done of course, but obviously not without modifying file
> > > formats and userspace tools.
> > >
> > > (Thoughts of snowballs and hell presented themselves at this point.)
> >
> > Why not make a new set? http://7eggert.dyndns.org:8080/l/bgz.tar.gz
>
> Hmm, well if you think there is a chance of it being accepted, then
> sure! I'll cook something up, but will be looking to use LZO first since
> it's a bit faster to begin with.

It's small enough, and now I've updated it to support lzo and put a
license into the files.

Thinking about it: It's now very kernel-specific, other users might like a
block signature to make it robust against errors - e.g. in the middle of a
.tar.bgz file. I think I'll change that soon and put 0x55aa in front of
each block.
--
Borges sumus. Resistere inutile est.

  Last update: 2009-03-26 12:29    [W:0.049 / U:0.424 seconds]