    SubjectRe: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy
    > If the MAC address isn't a UUID for the device, then *what* is?

    MAC is technically per system if desired (eg old Sun boxes) and that is
    quite valid by IEE802.3. In that case you need MAC + topology.

    If you are running DECnet your system runs on assigned MAC addresses so
    you also have to be careful to use the EPROM MAC (if one exists which is
    99.9% of the time) + topology.

    > Either people want (a) a name assigned to a specific device (which
    > implies a UUID like a MAC address stored on that device somewhere
    > accessible to the driver at plug/boot time), or they want (b) to assign
    > a name to a *position* on the PCI or USB or firewire or whatever bus, or
    > they (c) don't care about this at all.

    I'd argue the fumdamental problem is that I can do this

    ln -s /dev/sda /dev/thebigdiskunderthefridge

    but cannot ln -s /dev/eth0 /dev/ethernet/slot0

    and the SIOCGIF/SIF BSD style ioctl interface doesn't do pathnames or
    file handles of network devices.

    Anyone feel up to putting all the network devices into dev space and
    fixing the ioctls ;)

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-03-24 18:03    [W:0.029 / U:2.156 seconds]