SubjectRe: [dm-devel] Barriers still not passing on simple dm devices...

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24 2009, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> > > So you audited any ->make_request_fn style driver and made sure they
> > > rejected barriers?
> >
> > I didn't.
> >
> > If you grep for it, you get:
> >
> > ./arch/powerpc/sysdev/axonram.c:
> > doesn't reject barriers, but it is not needed, it ends all bios in
> > make_request routine
> >
> > ./drivers/block/aoe/aoeblk.c:
> > * doesn't reject barriers, should be modified to do so
> >
> > ./drivers/block/brd.c
> > doesn't reject barriers, doesn't need to, ends all bios in make_request
> >
> > ./drivers/block/loop.c:
> > doesn't reject barriers, it's ok because it doesn't reorder requests
> >
> > ./drivers/block/pktcdvd.c
> > * doesn't reject barriers, should be modified to do so
> >
> > ./drivers/block/umem.c
> > * doesn't reject barriers, I don't know if it reorders requests or not.
> >
> > ./drivers/s390/block/xpram.c
> > doesn't reject barriers, doesn't need, ends bios immediatelly
> >
> > ./drivers/md/raid0.c
> > rejects barriers
> >
> > ./drivers/md/raid1.c
> > supports barriers
> >
> > ./drivers/md/raid10.c
> > rejects barriers
> >
> > ./drivers/md/raid5.c
> > rejects barriers
> >
> > ./drivers/md/linear.c
> > rejects barriers
> >
> > ./drivers/md/dm.c
> > supports barriers partially
>
> Not reordering is not enough to support the barrier primitive, unless
> you always go to the same device and pass the barrier flag down with it.

For single-device drivers (not md/dm), not reordering should be good
enough to claim barrier support.

> I think having the check in generic_make_request() is perfectly fine,
> even if the value doesn't completely apply to stacked devices. Perhaps
> we can add such a value, then. My main point is that barrier support
> should be opt-in, not a default thing.

So make some flag for these bio-based devices, so that they don't have to
use one of those request-based options (which are meaningless for
non-request based device).

> Over time we should have support everywhere, but it needs to be checked,
> audited, and trusted.

BTW. What is the rule for barriers if the device can't prevent the
requests from being delayed or reordered? (for example ATA<=3 disks with
cache that lack cache-flush command ... or flash cards that do
write-caching anyway and it can't be turned off). Should they support
barriers and try to make best effort? Or should they reject barriers to
inform the caller code that they have no data consistency?

Mikulas

> --
> Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2009-03-24 15:49    [W:0.073 / U:4.664 seconds]