SubjectRe: [dm-devel] Barriers still not passing on simple dm devices...
On Tue, Mar 24 2009, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > This is misdesign in generic bio layer and it should be fixed there. I
> > > think it is blocking barrier support in md-raid1 too. Jens, pls apply the
> > > attached patch.
> > >
> > > Mikulas
> > >
> > > ----
> > >
> > > Move test for not-supported barriers to __make_request.
> > >
> > > This test prevents barriers from being dispatched to device mapper
> > > and md.
> > >
> > > This test is sensible only for drivers that use requests (such as disk
> > > drivers), not for drivers that use bios.
> > >
> > > It is better to fix it in generic code than to make workaround for it
> > > in device mapper and md.
> >
> > So you audited any ->make_request_fn style driver and made sure they
> > rejected barriers?
>
> I didn't.
>
> If you grep for it, you get:
>
> ./arch/powerpc/sysdev/axonram.c:
> doesn't reject barriers, but it is not needed, it ends all bios in
> make_request routine
>
> ./drivers/block/aoe/aoeblk.c:
> * doesn't reject barriers, should be modified to do so
>
> ./drivers/block/brd.c
> doesn't reject barriers, doesn't need to, ends all bios in make_request
>
> ./drivers/block/loop.c:
> doesn't reject barriers, it's ok because it doesn't reorder requests
>
> ./drivers/block/pktcdvd.c
> * doesn't reject barriers, should be modified to do so
>
> ./drivers/block/umem.c
> * doesn't reject barriers, I don't know if it reorders requests or not.
>
> ./drivers/s390/block/xpram.c
> doesn't reject barriers, doesn't need, ends bios immediatelly
>
> ./drivers/md/raid0.c
> rejects barriers
>
> ./drivers/md/raid1.c
> supports barriers
>
> ./drivers/md/raid10.c
> rejects barriers
>
> ./drivers/md/raid5.c
> rejects barriers
>
> ./drivers/md/linear.c
> rejects barriers
>
> ./drivers/md/dm.c
> supports barriers partially

Not reordering is not enough to support the barrier primitive, unless
you always go to the same device and pass the barrier flag down with it.

I think having the check in generic_make_request() is perfectly fine,
even if the value doesn't completely apply to stacked devices. Perhaps
we can add such a value, then. My main point is that barrier support
should be opt-in, not a default thing. Over time we should have support
everywhere, but it needs to be checked, audited, and trusted.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2009-03-24 15:35    [W:0.045 / U:0.680 seconds]