    SubjectRe: cli/sti vs local_cmpxchg and local_add_return
    * Alan D. Brunelle (Alan.Brunelle@hp.com) wrote:
    > Here are the results for:
    >
    > processor : 31
    > vendor : GenuineIntel
    > arch : IA-64
    > family : 32
    > model : 0
    > model name : Dual-Core Intel(R) Itanium(R) 2 Processor 9050
    > revision : 7
    > archrev : 0
    > features : branchlong, 16-byte atomic ops
    > cpu number : 0
    > cpu regs : 4
    > cpu MHz : 1598.002
    > itc MHz : 400.000000
    > BogoMIPS : 3186.68
    > siblings : 2
    > physical id: 196865
    > core id : 1
    > thread id : 0
    >
    > test init
    > test results: time for baseline
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 5002
    > -> baseline takes 0 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for locked cmpxchg
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 60083
    > -> locked cmpxchg takes 3 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for non locked cmpxchg
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 60002
    > -> non locked cmpxchg takes 3 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for locked add return
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 155007
    > -> locked add return takes 7 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for non locked add return
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 155004
    > -> non locked add return takes 7 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for enabling interrupts (STI)
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 45003
    > -> enabling interrupts (STI) takes 2 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for disabling interrupts (CLI)
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 59998
    > -> disabling interrupts (CLI) takes 2 cycles
    > test end
    > test results: time for disabling/enabling interrupts (STI/CLI)
    > number of loops: 20000
    > total time: 107274
    > -> enabling/disabling interrupts (STI/CLI) takes 5 cycles
    > test end

    Hi Alan,

    Wow, disabling interrupts is incredibly cheap on the ia64, and
    local_add_return especially costly. I think it's because it is done by
    an underlying cmpxchg, and therefore not supported directly by the
    architecture (except for the fetch add which is limited to very specific
    values).

    Given some ia64 code refers to NMIs, I guess this architecture supports
    them. So in the end, the decision between speed and atomicity will
    depend on a solidness vs speed tradeoff. But given the time it takes to
    write data to memory, I think 5 cycles vs 10 cycles won't make a big
    difference overall.

    Thanks for those results !

    Mathieu

    --
    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2009-03-23 17:53    [W:3.046 / U:0.068 seconds]