    SubjectRe: ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    On Mon 2009-03-16 19:40:57, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
    > On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 01:30:51PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > + Unfortunately, none of the cheap USB/SD flash cards I've seen
    > > + do behave like this, and are thus unsuitable for all Linux
    > > + filesystems I know.
    >
    > When you say Linux filesystems do you mean "filesystems originally
    > designed on Linux" or do you mean "filesystems that Linux supports"?

    "Linux filesystems I know" :-). No filesystem that Linux supports,
    AFAICT.

    > Additionally whatever the answer, people are going to need help
    > answering the "which is the least bad?" question and saying what's not
    > good without offering alternatives is only half helpful... People need
    > to put SOMETHING on these cheap (and not quite so cheap)
    > devices... The

    According to me, people should just AVOID those devices. I don't plan
    to point the "least bad"; its still bad.

    > > + hdparm -I reports disk features. If you have "Native
    > > + Command Queueing" is the feature you are looking for.
    >
    > The document makes it sound like nearly everything bar battery backed
    > hardware RAIDed SCSI disks (with perfect firmware) is bad - is this
    > the intent?

    Battery backed RAID should be ok, as should be plain single SATA drive.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2009-03-23 12:01    [W:4.530 / U:0.024 seconds]