    SubjectRe: [announce] Performance Counters for Linux, v6
    On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 10:44 +0100, Robert Richter wrote:
    > I agree, it is much more easier to change the in-kernel i/f. I just
    > wanted to emphasize the importance of this i/f. Oprofile, Perfmon and
    > also LPC will exist in the future too and should share the same code
    > base. That's what I missed in the discussion until now.

    We could implement oprofile on top of lpc for those archs that have LPC
    support. And afaik only ia64 needs to bother with perfmon as that's the
    only arch that has support for it anyway.

    Now, even on x86 LPC would need a little more arch support before we can
    fully replace oprofile, but a half-way model would be a LPC oprofile
    driver that uses LPC on those machines its supported on, while working
    to provide LPC support for the older machines.

      Last update: 2009-03-10 11:33    [W:3.932 / U:0.128 seconds]