SubjectRe: Question regarding concurrent accesses through block device and fs

[ Sorry for being long to answer but I was off, I'm slow and there are
a lot of complex code to dig out ! ]

Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> writes:

> On Saturday 21 February 2009 01:10:24 Francis Moreau wrote:

[...]

>> - looking at unmap_underlying_metadata(), there's no code to deal with
>> meta data buffers. It gets the buffer and unmap it whatever the type of
>> data it contains.
>
> That's why I say it only really works for buffer cache used by the same
> filesystem that is now known to be unused.

hum, I still don't know what you mean by this, sorry to be slow.

[...]

>> What am I missing ?
>
> That we might complete the write of the new buffer before the
> old buffer is finished writing out?

Ah yes actually I realize that I don't know where and when the inode
blocks are effectively written to the disk !

It seems that write_inode(), called after data are commited to the
disk, only marks the inode buffers as dirty but it performs no IO (at
least it looks so for ext2 when its 'do_sync' parameter is 0 which is
the case when this method is called by write_inode()).

Could you enlight me one more time ?

Thanks
--
Francis

  Last update: 2009-03-01 15:45    [W:0.067 / U:0.468 seconds]