SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] timerfd extend clockid support
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Michael Kerrisk wrote:

> > and I did not have even the time to peek
> > into the core timer code to see if the usage of other timer types in
> > eventfd would create problems. That's why I asked Thomas if they'd behave
> > differently from an hrtimer caller POV.
> > I'll try to take a look by myself today or tomorrow.
>
> Okay -- hopefully my test program may be useful (even if it is not
> itself fully tested yet, it's patterned after a similar test program I
> wrote fot the POSIX timers API, so it should mostly work).

Answer was pretty easy once you look at the code :)
Timerfd uses core hrtimer functions, and clockids different from the ones
timerfd already handles, fall into the CPU-timers domain. Domain that is
not handled by hrtimer.
Changes to timerfd to support CPU-based timers are really deep (more than
changes, is a total rewrite). not only to timerfd, but also to CPU-based
timers to deliver notification by means different than signals.
Given the amount of code change, and given that a posix-timers->signalfd
bridge could solve the problem, I'm not going even close to suggest such a
change.

- Davide

  Last update: 2009-02-09 21:13    [W:0.164 / U:0.892 seconds]