[lkml]   [2009]   [Feb]   [5]   [last100]   RSS Feed

SubjectRe: [PATCH 1/2] usb-serial : fix the nousb oops
    On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:10:20AM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
    >> remove wgreathouse@smva.com in cc-list because this mail will be
    >> rejected by the smva.com email server.
    >> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    >> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:43:04AM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
    >> >> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    >> >> > On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 06:53:23PM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> In case with "nousb" booting, serial drivers will trigger kernel oops.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > They will? What is the oops message?
    >> >>
    >> >> Yes, they will, at lease I saw usb_serial/aircable/ftdi_sio oops. I
    >> >> will manage to copy the oops message later.
    >> >>
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> Here add usb_disabled() check in usb_serial_init and usb_serial_register
    >> >> >
    >> >> > This is odd, is it something new? Why is usb-serial the only driver
    >> >> > that needs such a thing?
    >> >>
    >> >> No, it is not new thing. usb serial drivers normally call
    >> >> usb_serial_register first, then usb_register, usb_register will fail
    >> >> due to "nousb" checking, but usb_serial_register no.
    >> >
    >> > But as usb_register will fail, shouldn't they properly back out and no
    >> > oopses happen? This sounds like a simple fix to the drivers that are
    >> > failing here, not changing the usb-serial core.
    >> Hi greg
    >> I think all usb serial drivers which call usb_serial_register will
    >> oops, so IMHO usb core should be fixed.
    >> I think maybe you missed my another reply, copy the content here again.
    > No, I got it.
    > I'm more interested in why usb-serial is oopsing, as it should't be.
    >> ---
    >> hand copy part of the oops message:
    > Can you take a picture of the oops?

Hi, greg:

Yestoday I found that with two diffrent config there's diffrent EIP,
    please see the attachment (configs), you can use the configs to create
    the panic.

Due to the image files size I only send them to you in another email.

> thanks,
    > greg k-h

Regards
    dave
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip][unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip]

Last update: 2009-02-06 03:19    [W:0.051 / U:0.264 seconds]