    SubjectRe: [crash] af9005_usb_module_init(): BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ff100000
    En/na Daniel Walker ha escrit:
    > On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 21:41 +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
    >> No, I don't have 2.6.28, but I guess that maybe once usb_register is
    >> called the dvb-usb subsystem asynchronously (is that an smp system?)
    >> starts polling the remote before the rc_decode function pointer has been
    >> initialized.
    >> Could you try to initialize it to NULL before calling usb_register?
    > What happens to the decode function when you have,
    > CONFIG_DVB_USB_AF9005=y
    > It seems that the decode function is defined inside,
    > drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/af9005-remote.c
    > but that doesn't get compiled in the case above. It looks like you end
    > up with af9005_rc_decode being a function local weak symbol
    > (uninitialized) which then gets assigned to rc_decode .. I think the
    > crash actually happens on rc_keys_size which get assigned another
    > uninitialized local, and it gets de-referenced .

    Doesn't symbol_request return a NULL in such a case?
    At the time I didn't try the above configuration
    (CONFIG_DVB_USB_AF9005_REMOTE=n), but removed the compiled
    dvb-usb-af9005-remote.ko, and all was well (i.e. the symbol_request
    returned NULL and the remote handling was disabled).

    > Here's a patch I compile tested, and I think it would fix the issue.

    But it'd break the alternative rc decoding module (not integrated in the
    kernel because it uses lirc):

    Not really an issue for me, since I'm using a lirc-serial homebrew
    device, (besides, my af9005 device is broken, though the remote part is
    still working, so in a pinch I could use it as an usb remote receiver).

    @Ingo, silly question, but do you have an af9005 based device where this
    is crashing?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-04 15:55    [W:0.028 / U:76.068 seconds]