SubjectRe: [patch] x86: optimize __pa() to be linear again on 64-bit x86

* Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Yeah, we can do this complete conversion.
> >
> > I'll clean it up some more. I think the best representation of
> > this will be via a virt_to_sym() and sym_to_virt() space. That
> > makes it really clear when we are moving from the symbol space
> > to the linear space and back.
>
> For arch code, maybe it's maintainable but with my driver developer
> hat on I gotta say virt_to_page() not working on .data/.bss is quite
> scary. [...]

Well, we have a debug mechanism in place.

As i suggested it in my first mail we can run with debug enabled
for a cycle and then turn on the optimization by default (with
the debug option still available too).

Drivers doing DMA on .data/.bss items is rather questionable
anyway (and dangerous as well, on any platform where there's
coherency problems if DMA is misaligned, etc.), and a quick look
shows there's at most 2-3 dozen examples of that in all of
drivers/*.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-02-27 08:01    [W:0.350 / U:0.060 seconds]