SubjectRe: [patch 5/7] make netfilter use strict integer types
Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Thursday 2009-02-26 01:14, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> IMHO, __uXX should be replaced by uintX_t, but a move this great I
>>> will leave to future generations because there is just too much
>>> persisting opinions wrt. such proposal. As such I'd like to join
>>> and persist on my position and that uintX that we have should be kept.
>> We *CAN'T* replace __uXX with uintX_t. Period, full stop, end of story.
>
> Would the mindful master please elaborate why this is so, if it is
> indeed not a personal decision.

POSIX has strict rules as to what symbols you are allowed to present
into the user-visible namespace. This means you can't use these types
for any header that may be indirectly included.

Since we can't use them in general, it's silly to use them for a
minority of headers, which would then have different exposure rules than
people otherwise can expect.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans