    SubjectRe: [patch 5/7] make netfilter use strict integer types
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > On Thursday 2009-02-26 01:14, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>> IMHO, __uXX should be replaced by uintX_t, but a move this great I
    >>> will leave to future generations because there is just too much
    >>> persisting opinions wrt. such proposal. As such I'd like to join
    >>> and persist on my position and that uintX that we have should be kept.
    >> We *CAN'T* replace __uXX with uintX_t. Period, full stop, end of story.
    > Would the mindful master please elaborate why this is so, if it is
    > indeed not a personal decision.

    POSIX has strict rules as to what symbols you are allowed to present
    into the user-visible namespace. This means you can't use these types
    for any header that may be indirectly included.

    Since we can't use them in general, it's silly to use them for a
    minority of headers, which would then have different exposure rules than
    people otherwise can expect.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-26 02:11    [W:0.023 / U:20.348 seconds]