SubjectRe: [patch 5/7] make netfilter use strict integer types
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> I _strongly disagree_ with this move. Userspace also has the uintX
> types via <stdint.h>/<cstdint>, and now you are adding a dependency
> on linux/types.h, not to mention that your step can lead to compile
> time piling up.
>
> IMHO, __uXX should be replaced by uintX_t, but a move this great I
> will leave to future generations because there is just too much
> persisting opinions wrt. such proposal. As such I'd like to join
> and persist on my position and that uintX that we have should be kept.

We *CAN'T* replace __uXX with uintX_t. Period, full stop, end of story.
It isn't possible to do universally, and doing it non-universally is
just silly. Nor is it likely that this adds anything to the compile
time, since most realistic programs will have a dependency on
<linux/types.h> through some indirect path.

Now, I have to say I'd personally would prefer if make headers_install
did this transformation mechanically for the common integer types,
instead of requiring it to have the source code formatted in a specific
fashion.

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans