SubjectRe: What made this bug report better? (was Re: Poking ieee80211_default_rc_algo causes kernel lockups)

* Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:07:27AM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, done, and I'll send to Linus and -stable immediately.
>
> I'm curious - only two days after I reposted this the problem
> [1] it appears to have been resolved. When I posted it the
> first time [2] I only received one reply (privately) and that
> was from Greg wondering why I had only sent the email to him
> (which was an unfortunate problem and down to how I was trying
> to send LKML mails at the time).
>
> What happened this time that made things succesful? Was the
> original mail too big? Did it not make it to the list?
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_frm/thread/2a816ca521d72494/bd607c7e143def6f?#bd607c7e143def6f
> [2] http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_frm/thread/d4a6ce26360613fa/b362792a2debced6?#b362792a2debced6

It does not seem to have made it to everyone - it's not in my
lkml folder for example. Sometimes vger eats emails. Filing a
bugzilla for reproducible bugs makes sense - especially if you
see that no action has been taken by anyone.

But note that even with expanded Cc:s and a properly working
list it needed Frederic's excellent function-graph trace and
analysis.

A crash in the wireless code rarely gets tracked back to a core
kernel module support bug, and it would have taken quite some
time for someone to make that connection.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-02-20 12:33    [W:3.522 / U:0.020 seconds]