    SubjectRe: [RFD] Automatic suspend
    On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <> wrote:

    >> > It might be better to ask in what situations Android is _not_ supposed
    >> > to sleep automatically. In other words, in what situations is a
    >> > wakelock acquired? Since the whole system is only a phone, this
    >> > question should have a reasonably well-defined answer.
    >> On an android phone, any code that needs to run when the screen is off
    >> must hold a wakelock (directly or indirectly). In general if an
    >> application or the system is processing an event that may cause a user
    >> notification (new email, incoming phone call, alarm, etc.) it needs to
    >> prevent suspend. But, we also use wakelocks to upload stats or
    >> download system updates in the background, and for media player or
    >> (gps) data logging applications.
    > All of this doesn't seem to require wakelocks acuired from kernel space.
    > What do you need those wakelocks for?

    Most events do not originate in user-space. Alarms start in our alarm
    driver which locks a wakelock when its timer interrupt occurs. This
    wakelock stays locked until the user-space alarm manager calls the
    driver to wait for the next alarm. I've described how input events are
    handled before. Without kernel wakelocks, if the user space power
    manager had already turned off the screen and decided to suspend right
    before a wakeup key is pressed, then that key could sit in the
    in-kernel input queue until another key is pressed. Even if the
    user-space thread read the key event before being frozen, it cannot
    abort the suspend operation that was already started.

    Arve Hjønnevåg

      Last update: 2009-02-20 12:29    [W:0.021 / U:7.828 seconds]