    SubjectRe: Ubuntu Jaunty ext3 --> ext4 upgrade issue
    Theodore Tso wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:10:38AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
    >> I've encountered a situation where the patches that you've proposed for
    >> stable updates might be causing some issues. This user ivoks appears to
    >> have an upgrade issue. I assume he's enabled ext4 on an existing ext3
    >> file system. Hopefully I can get more details. Have you seen anything
    >> like this?
    > No, this is the first I've heard of it.
    >> <ivoks> i'm getting 'Invalid or unsupported executable format' from grub
    >> on all jaunty's generic kernels since (including) 2.6.28-7
    > So grub is complaining that it can't boot from a partition after
    > upgrading to the new kernel with the for-stable patches? Um, that's
    > interesting. So the obvious thing to check is to do an md5 checksum
    > of the kernel in /boot to make sure it didn't get corrupted somehow.
    > The other thing to check would be to ask the user to run e2fsck to
    > rule out filesystem corruption.
    > OTOH, if this was just a simple install and upgrade, presumably the
    > new kernel would have been installed while the previous kernel was
    > booted.
    > I do my testing by using a ext3 /boot partition (since my
    > crash-and-burn netbook is running Ubuntu Jaunty). So I wouldn't have
    > noticed anything, but this seems very odd.
    > More information would be useful; is there a Launchpad bug open on this yet?
    > Or we can work this out on LKML or the linux-ext4 mailing list if the
    > reporter is willing to be cc'ed on the thread....
    > - Ted

    Here is the initial report:

    I'll produce a test kernel for the user that has _all_ of the proposed
    stable patches from your ext4/for-stable branch (including the jbd2 stuff).

    Tim Gardner

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-02-19 15:27    [W:0.022 / U:11.064 seconds]