SubjectRe: [RFD] Automatic suspend
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:53:48 +0100
> Oliver Neukum <oliver@neukum.org> wrote:

> > > Well, I think the first approach would be better.
> >
> > I am afraid it wouldn't be. How do you deal with shared transports?
> >

> realistically, something like this you need to design like this
> Step 1) Assume the hardware is smart and can do this for you on the fly,
> but it might need guidance.
> (For many busses there are platforms that do this)
> Step 2) For hardware that is not smart, emulate the smartness in the
> driver, with help of the subsystem. These two together have
> the right knowledge to make such decisions.

Arjan, you're missing the point. This part of the discussion is
already focussed on your Step 2. The question we are concerned with
is: _How_ shall the driver and subsystem go about emulating the
smartness?

Oliver's comment is a good one. The principle of not suspending a
parent with active children has never been set in stone; with care we
should be able to circumvent it.

Alan Stern