    SubjectRe: [Bonding-devel] 2.6.29 regression? Bonding tied to IPV6 in 29-rc5
    On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:49:16 -0500, Brian Haley <brian.haley@hp.com> wrote:

    > Jay Vosburgh wrote:
    > > Brian Haley <brian.haley@hp.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > > [...]
    > >> I initially had bonding IPv6 support as a Kconfig option, but it was
    > >> decided it would be cleaner if it just got built-in whenever CONFIG_IPV6
    > >> was set like SCTP, with the assumption you might want it.
    > >>
    > >> Is it a common configuration to not allow a module to load like you're
    > >> doing in modprobe.conf? I don't know how hard it would be to rip this
    > >> out into it's own bonding_ipv6.ko module, simply turning-off CONFIG_IPV6
    > >> seems better.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure either of those really helps. Distro kernels are
    > > built with CONFIG_IPV6 (and would have the CONFIG_BONDING_IPV6_DINGUS
    > > enabled as well), so the common case users would have it enabled, too.
    >
    > I think that was one of the reasons too.
    >
    > > Putting the ipv6 bits into a different module might not help,
    > > either, because the "core" bonding code would still have the call to the
    > > ipv6 functions. Unless there's some magic way to somehow know at
    > > runtime whether or not the ipv6 module is loaded, and only try to
    > > resolve those symbols if ipv6 is loaded. That seems complicated.
    >
    > This separate bonding_ipv6 module would have to register itself with the
    > "core" one with a new proto_ops of some sort. Calls are made for the
    > appropriate method, for example bond_ops->send_gratuitous(bond). We'd
    > change the IPv4 code too. It's just a theory, does make things more
    > complicated.
    >
    > > To answer your question, I have come across this (aliasing ipv6
    > > to nothing in modprobe.conf to disable IPv6) from time to time, but
    > > didn't think of it when the NA code was added to bonding.
    >
    > So I guess I'll start hacking the above, unless someone has a better
    > suggestion.

    Perhaps the right way to start would be to think is if blocking the load
    of ipv6 is the right way to disable IPV6.

    Just as an example I realized recently (and I know it's not the same) if
    I don't have ext4 loaded I can't format a disk on ext4. But disks still
    work...

    IPV6 looks like a special part of the kernel to disable _at runtime_.

    --
    J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com> \ Software is like sex:
    \ It's better when it's free

      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:3.180 / U:0.012 seconds]