    SubjectRe: [RFD] Automatic suspend
    On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:19:38 +0100
    "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

    > > In addition, in hardware there does seem to be the trend where idle
    > > and suspend are converging (just look at the OLPC)... with
    > > chipsets powering down all unused pieces, and cpus in idle taking
    > > basically no power, there no longer is much of a difference in
    > > reality between suspend and good-idle...
    >
    > This, again, seems to be a bit x86-centric. :-)

    actually absolutely not. To the contrary. It is, as you said, the
    embedded systems that have, and increasingly get, finer grained per
    device controls. (x86 embedded and otherwise). The more fine grained
    control you have, the less a system wide state will give you in
    additional power savings. This is pretty much the industry trend for
    all power sensitive systems.

    Android might be using last years hardware. I'm not saying we shouldn't
    support that, but we need to be careful to not design the system only
    looking backwards.

    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:0.048 / U:29.364 seconds]