    SubjectRe: cpuinfo shows wrong MHz value
    Date
    On Monday 16 February 2009 19:19:36 Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:13:15PM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:

    > > > Please don't. It's perfectly valid (if dumb) for machines to
    > > > depend on the CPU for passive cooling even if they don't expose any P
    > > > or T states.
    > > No it's not valid. If the BIOS does not export these, it could be for
    > > a reason.
    >
    > We have to deal with insane BIOSes on a regular basis.
    In this case I will agree with BIOS developers that they have to deal
    with insane OS implementations...

    > > > In that case p4-clockmod is the only code that can manage it. The
    > > > removal of the user-visible cpufreq interface should be a strong
    > > > enough hint that it's not intended for speed control.
    > > AFAIK p4-clockmode is still not synchronized with ACPI throttling?
    >
    > It ought to work fine with any systems using MSR-based throttling.

    This may come from the fact that throttling via ACPI would only kick in
    in emergency temperature case. Exactly then, when throttling should be
    used, it won't work. I tried it once and I could easily stall the system
    by throttling via ACPI and p4_clockmod.

    Thomas

      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:0.021 / U:0.280 seconds]