    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: cannot get stable system since 2.6.28 kernel (amd64)
    Date
    On Monday 16 February 2009 01:21:54 John Stoffel wrote:

    > Philippe> On Saturday 14 February 2009 10:24:51 Jaswinder Singh Rajput
    wrote:

    > >> May be nvidia graphics module was written based on some kernel which
    > >> is more closer to 2.6.27.10 as compare to 2.6.29-rc4.
    > >>
    > >> Another thing which John is pointing configure your bios to use
    > >> standard inbuild garphics card OR remove nvidia module and check
    > >> whether it solves your problem or not.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> JSR
    >
    > Philippe> As I said just before, I tried it but it does not change my
    > Philippe> problem : the system still stalls randomly, sometimes during
    > Philippe> boot, sometimes after...
    >
    > This smells even more of hardware problems then. Did you change
    > anything recently besides your kernel? And does the system still
    > reliably run with the older kernel?
    >
    > If you have a second Linux computer, you can setup a newconsole to
    > hopefully capture and then post more details about your system when it
    > boots and crashes.
    >
    > I'd personally pull any extra disks, re-seat memory, turn down the
    > systems settings in the BIOS to very conservative numbers, etc. No
    > overclocking at all.
    >
    > Also, try removing all but one memory module and seeing if that helps.
    >
    > John
    Thanks for your attention.

    well, I don't really believe in hardware problem for two reasons :
    1st, nearly all my hardware is quite new ( < 1 year old ), which is, I agree,
    not a solid proof ;-)
    2nd, the problem is really repetitive : every time I boot on older kernel,
    everything works like a charm, every time I boot on the newer kernel, I end up
    crashing : the "random" part is only the time before crash....

    I haven't any "overclocking" settings, and every hardware and bios settings
    are the same : same computer, same harddisk partition, and so on.
    2.6.28 will everytime stop after "Booting the kernel".
    2.6.29-rc* will boot, but then stalls after a random delay... Except the
    "/proc/cpuinfo" difference between the two kernels, I don't have a clue....

    The thing is I can continue using the old kernel, but I thought I better

    I'm just a regular user, so I really lack debugging experience...

    Philippe

      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:0.026 / U:64.036 seconds]