SubjectRe: Unable to write dvd+r on 3 systems
Richard Jonsson wrote:

> It seems I am the last person on earth burning dvd's. I have tried on three different systems, using a mix of growisofs, xfburn, brasero and k3b. They all give the same result for their respective system.
>
> On system 1 it takes forever to complete the process. The system is completely useless while burning. IO wait is 50% and hardIRQ is 10-20%. If audio is playing at the same time it stutters in a way that it sounds as it's playing slow. Mouse cursor jerks and it takes eons to even open a new terminal.
>
> On system 2 growisofs will try for half a minute and then fail with a message in dmesg. The disc isn't even touched. Tried homebuilt kernel.org kernels from 2.6.25 to current git with no difference. See attachment "growisofs_system2.txt". I have been able to burn exactly 1 disc in total, which magically started recording immediately.
>
> System 3 burns at decent speed and always reports success, but about half the time only part of the disc is actually burned. It is visible to the eye, and it will not work. Tried at 4x too.

It sounds like you may have multiple problems. System 1 sounds like
maybe DMA is not being used for some reason, the dmesg output would be
useful. On System 2 it looks like a write timed out, and system 3 is
having burn quality problems. System 1 may have a kernel issue that
should be looked into, but as for the other two, I would tend to suspect
the quality of the discs you are using. There is a lot of crap media out
there, and also some burners don't like discs with media codes that they
don't have preprogrammed burn strategies for.

  Last update: 2009-02-14 22:57    [W:0.050 / U:2.164 seconds]