SubjectRe: git-send-email
On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 18:16 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:25:34PM +0100, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> >> No, they are great, if you like to skip over a topic, you are not
> >> interested in at all!
> >>
> >> If you don't like it, just switch off thread in your mailer and
> >> don't force this on everybody else!
> >
> > Actually if (as apparently many people seem to manage to do) you have a
> > single starting email, with all the patches as replies to that first
> > email, it looks a lot better, and is much easier to follow.
> >
> > Seperate threads would be bad.
> >
> > foobar patch 0 (usually a summary/overview)
> > +-foobar patch 1
> > +-foobar patch 2
> > +-foobar patch 3
> > +-foobar patch 4
> > +-foobar patch 5
> >
> > is much nicer than
> >
> > foobar patch 0
> > +-foobar patch 1
> > +-foobar patch 2
> > +-foobar patch 3
> > +-foobar patch 4
> > +-foobar patch 5
> >
> > which seems to be what git does itself.
>
> I personally prefer the former, but as you hopefully all found out by now,
> the choice between these two is just the matter of personal taste, and
> there is no clear majority.
>
> The default will not going to change.

Its a matter of usability, the inf deep chain git does by default
renders the result unusable. Fact is I usually skip over patch series
posted that way, simply because its too much of a bother.

If you can't be bothered with usability of your project, then so be it.
Maybe all those rants on how unusable git is have a point after all.

  Last update: 2009-02-13 10:23    [W:0.153 / U:0.216 seconds]