    SubjectRe: Async resume patch (was: Re: [GIT PULL] PM updates for 2.6.33)
    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > > This is a little more awkward because it requires the parent to iterate
    > > through its children.
    > I can live with that.
    > > But it does solve the off-tree dependency problem for suspends.
    > That's a plus, but I still think we're trying to create a barrier-alike
    > mechanism using lock.
    > There's one more possibility to consider, though. What if we use a completion
    > instead of the flag + wait queue? It surely is a standard synchronization
    > mechanism and it seems it might work here.

    You're right. I should have thought of that. Linus's original
    approach couldn't use a completion because during suspend it needed to
    make one task (the parent) wait for a bunch of others (the children).
    But if you iterate through the children by hand, that objection no
    longer applies.

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-08 21:47    [W:0.020 / U:9.944 seconds]