SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:58:53AM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> >> IMO, via sysfs.
> >
> > We probably need to think what exactly we report through sysfs siunce it
> > is ABI of sorts.
>
> Yes, sure.
>
> Probably, the exact needs will popup only when we start to actually writing that
> part of the core.
>
> My intention for now is to just create a /sys/class/irrcv, with one node
> per each IR receiver and adding a protocol enumeration/selection node
> there, and add some capabilities for the in-kernel decoders and lirc_dev
> to create new nodes under that class.
>
> When the decoders/lirc_dev patches popup, we'll need to review those sysfs
> API's.

> >> IMO, the better is to limit the raw interface to just one open.
> >>

> > Why woudl we want to do this? Quite often there is a need for "observer"
> > that maybe does not act on data but allows capturing it. Single-user
> > inetrfaces are PITA.
>
> That should work fine as well, but I'm not sure how we'll detect overrun with
> several kfifo readers.

Push the data into readers so they can do te decoding at their own pace.
Some can do it in interrupt context, some will need workqueue/thread.
They can also regilate the depth of the buffer, according to their
needs.

> >> It should be big enough to receive at least one keycode event. Considering that
> >> the driver will use kfifo (IMO, it is a good strategy, especially since you
> >> won't need any lock if just one open is allowed), it will require a power of two size.
> >>

> > Would not it be wither driver- or protocol-specific?
>
> Probably.

> >> IMO, it should be the same requirement as used by an input interface.

> >> IMO, sysfs.

> >> IMO, it should use the kfifo for it. However, if we allow both raw data and
> >> in-kernel decoders to read data there, we'll need a spinlock to protect the
> >> kfifo.
> >>

> > I think Jon meant userspace interface for attaching particular decoder.
>
> I don't think we need an userspace interface for the in-kernel decoders. All
> it needs is to enable/disable the protocol decoders, imo via sysfs interface.

> >> I don't have a strong opinion here, but, from the previous discussions, it
> >> seems that people want it to be double-reported by default. If so, I think
> >> we need to implement a command at the raw interface to allow disabling the
> >> in-kernel decoder, while the raw interface is kept open.
> >
> > Why don't you simply let consumers decide where they will get their data?
>
> How?

You end up with N evdev devices. Let application (MythTV) say "I want to
use /dev/input/event1" (well, it will need persistent udev rule, but
that's a detail). Another application will chose another event node.
User can decide she'd rather use lircd - and so configire applications
to use event5. Any maybe turned off the in-kernel decoders if they are
of no use and there is a concern that they consume too mcuh resoures.

Won't this work?

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2009-12-08 18:15    [W:0.202 / U:0.788 seconds]