SubjectRe: [rfc] "fair" rw spinlocks
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 06:11:49PM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> >> SAK from sysrq is done through schedule work, I seem to recall the
> >> locking being impossible otherwise. There is also send_sig_all and a
> >> few others from sysrq. I expect we could legitimately make them
> >> schedule_work as well if needed.
> >
> > OK, I will chance it... Here is one possible trick:
> >
> > o Maintain a list of ongoing group-signal operations, protected
> > by some suitable lock. These could be in a per-chain-locked
> > hash table, hashed by the signal target (e.g., pgrp).
> >
> > o When a task is created, it scans the above list, committing
> > suicide (or doing whatever the signal requires) if appropriate.
> >
> > o When creating a child task, the parent holds an SRCU across
> > creation. It acquires SRCU before starting creation, and
> > releases it when it knows that the child has completed
> > scanning the above list.
> >
> > o The updater does the following:
> >
> > o Add its request to the above list.
> >
> > o Wait for an SRCU grace period to elapse.
> >
> > o Kill off everything currently in the task list,
> > and then wait for each such task to get to a point
> > where it can be guaranteed not to spawn additional
> > tasks. (This might be mediated via a reference
> > count in the corresponding list element, or by
> > rescanning the task list, or any of a number of
> > similar tricks.)
> >
> > Of course, if the signal is non-fatal, then it is
> > necessary only to wait until the child has taken
> > the signal.
> >
> > o If it is possible for a given task's children to
> > outlive it, despite the fact that the children must
> > commit suicide upon finding themselves indicated by the
> > list, wait for another SRCU grace period to elapse.
> > (This additional SRCU grace period would be required
> > for a non-fatal pgrp signal, for example.)
> >
> > o Remove the element from the list.
> >
> > Does this approach make sense, or am I misunderstanding the problem?
>
> I think that is about right. I played with that idea a little bit.
> I was thinking of simply having new children return -ERESTARTSYS, and
> retry the fork. I put it down because I decided that seems like a
> very twisted implementation of a read/write lock.
>
> If we can scale noticeably better a than tasklist_lock it is
> definitely worth doing. I think it is really easy to tie yourself up
> in pretzels thinking about this.

No argument here!!!

> An srcu in the pid structure that we hold while signaling tasks.
> Interesting.

;-)

> > Either way, one additional question... It seems to me that non-fatal
> > signals really don't require the above mechanism, because if a task
> > handles the signal, and then spawns a child, one can argue that the
> > child came after the signal and should thus be unaffected. Right?
> > Or more confusion on my part?
>
> SIGSTOP also seems pretty important not to escape. I'm not certain of
> the others. I think I would get a bit upset if job control signals in
> the shell stopped working properly. I think asking the question did
> that app do something wrong with SIGTERM or did the kernel drop it
> would drive me a bit batty.

Good point!!! It does indeed seem to me that SIGSTOP needs to be
handled as carefully as does a fatal signal. I guess that SIGCONT
is easier, at least unless there is some tricky way that a stopped
task can nevertheless spawn a new task. ;-)

> It is hard to tell what breaks because most buggy implementations will
> work correctly most of the time.

Indeed you are quite right, and it is thus worthwhile burning a few
extra CPU cycles to faithfully emulate the old behavior.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2009-12-08 03:39    [W:0.107 / U:2.380 seconds]