SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
Hi Jon,

on 04 Dec 09 at 19:28, Jon Smirl wrote:
>> BTW, I just came across a XMP remote that seems to generate 3x64 bit
>> scan codes. Anyone here has docs on the XMP protocol?
>
> Assuming a general purpose receiver (not one with fixed hardware
> decoding), is it important for Linux to receive IR signals from all
> possible remotes no matter how old or obscure? Or is it acceptable to
[...]
> Of course transmitting is a completely different problem, but we
> haven't been talking about transmitting. I can see how we would need
> to record any IR protocol in order to retransmit it. But that's in the
> 5% of users world, not the 90% that want MythTV to "just work". Use
> something like LIRC if you want to transmit.

I don't think anyone here is in the position to be able to tell what is
90% or 5%. Personally I use LIRC exclusively for transmit to my settop box
using an old and obscure RECS80 protocol.
No, I won't replace my setup just because it's old and obscure.

Cable companies tend to provide XMP based boxes to subscribers more often
these days. Simply not supporting these setups is a no-go for me.

Christoph

  Last update: 2009-12-06 13:17    [W:0.200 / U:48.420 seconds]