SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:36:33AM +0100, hermann pitton wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Assuming a general purpose receiver (not one with fixed hardware
>>> decoding), is it important for Linux to receive IR signals from all
>>> possible remotes no matter how old or obscure? Or is it acceptable to
>>> tell the user to throw away their dedicated remote and buy a universal
>>> multi-function one? Universal multi-function remotes are $12 in my
>>> grocery store - I don't even have to go to an electronics store.
>> finally we have some point here, IMHO, that is not acceptable and I told
>> you previously not to bet on such. Start some poll and win it, and I'll
>> shut up :)
>>

> Who would participate in the poll though?
>
>> To be frank, you are quite mad at this point, or deliver working other
>> remotes to __all__ for free.
>>

> I do not believe you are being realistic. Sometimes we just need to say
> that the device is a POS and is just not worth it. Remember, there is
> still "lirc hole" for the hard core people still using solder to produce
> something out of the spare electronic components that may be made to
> work (never mind that it causes the CPU constantly poll the device, not
> letting it sleep and wasting electricity as a result - just hypotetical
> example here).
>
> We still need to do cost-benefit analysis and decide whether supporting
> the exotic setups _in kernel_ makes sense if it encumbers implementation
> and causes issues to the other 95% people.

Fully agreed. The costs (our time) to add and keep supporting an in-kernel
driver for an IR that just one person is still using is higher than
asking the user to get a new IR. This time would be better spent adding a new
driver for other devices.

Cheers,
Mauro.

  Last update: 2009-12-06 12:49    [W:0.144 / U:72.144 seconds]