SubjectRe: large packet loss take2 2.6.31.x
From
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
>> >
>> > modprobe -r e1000e
>> > modprobe e1000e IntMode=0
>> >
>> > Jarek P.
>> >
>> tested on kernel behaving properly no change. what do these modes do?
>
> e1000e by default uses MSI-X interrupts if possible, which are most
> modern. If there are some problems IntMode lets us try older types,
> so I rather meant it for the misbehaving kernel.
>

>> I've installed a 10/100 linksys nic into my system. it appears to be
>> working fine on a bad kernel (2.6.32-final tested and for sure
>> verified). I've only tested it once though. my laptop died so direct
>> connection between that won't work. can I test between these 2 nics?
>> (suppose no real reason why not) but what should I proceed with at
>> this point?
>
> If you have it fixed easily with another nic you should first
> reconsider if this debugging is worth of your time. Of course it's
> could be very useful for the kernel (unless it's a hardware fault),
> but on the other hand this is a popular nic, tested by many people.

trying to figure out if it's hardware, I wish I'd figured that out a
month ago because dell would have been shipping me a new mobo at that
point... oh well... I'm starting to think it is but given the age of
the computer... (just over 1 year now) I'm not happy about that. my
nic is a 10/100 card the e1000e is obviously gigabit though I don't
think I've a need (or network) for the gigabit atm
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans