SubjectRe: drm_vm.c:drm_mmap: possible circular locking dependency detected (was: Re: Linux 2.6.33-rc2 - Merry Christmas ...)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:

> We've seen it several times (yes, mostly with drm, but it's been seen with
> others too), and it's very annoying. It can be fixed by having very
> careful readdir implementations, but I really would blame sysfs in
> particular for having a very annoying lock reversal issue when used
> reasonably.

Maybe. The mnmap_sem has some interesting issues all of it's own.
What reasonable thing is the drm doing that is causing problems?

> So the optimal situation would be for sysfs to not have that annoying lock
> dependency, and it would really have to be sysfs_readdir() that drops the
> sysfs_mutex around the filldir call (and that obviously implies having to
> re-validate and be really careful).
>
> Added Eric and Greg to the cc, in case the sysfs people want to solve it.

There are scalability reasons for dropping the sysfs_mutex in sysfs_readdir
and I have some tenative patches for that. I will take a look after I
come back from the holidays, in a couple of days. I don't understand
the issue as described.

> And yes, one option would be to just fix drm - by avoiding calling any
> sysfs functions while holding the mmap_lock (either in the mmap callback
> or the page fault paths). However, as mentioned, I really do think that
> the blame can be laid on sysfs for trying to be a nice generic interface,
> but having a damn inconvenient locking model.

Could be. I have simplified the sysfs locking quite a bit this last
round. I don't know if there is much more than corner cases left to
improve.

Eric

  Last update: 2009-12-30 22:37    [W:0.146 / U:0.244 seconds]