    SubjectRe: regression: crash from 'ls /sys/modules/wl1251_spi/notes'
    James Bottomley <> writes:

    > On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 13:41 +0200, Kalle Valo wrote:
    >> Also removing wl1251_spi causes a crash. The reason for this is that a
    >> sysfs file with a null string as name is trying to be removed from the
    >> notes directory.
    > Yes, this is because the notes sections describe the text sections.
    > When we ignore an empty text section, we'd need to ignore its
    > corresponding notes section.
    > The reason we didn't see this on parisc is because our compiler doesn't
    > actually produce any notes sections.

    Also on omap not all modules can reproduce the problem. For example
    cfg80211, mac80211 and wl1251 modules work just fine, but with
    wl1251_spi I see the problem everytime.

    > A better, and more comprehensive patch would be to try not to count the
    > empty text sections when we're building the notes section (and actually
    > anywhere else in the file). This patch actually relies on the fact that
    > if sh_size is zero for the text section it should be for the
    > corresponding notes section. If that doesn't work, we'd actually have
    > to do the matching in the construction piece.
    > Can you try it to see if it works for you? If it doesn't, I'll try
    > matching notes to text. It works fine on parisc, but as we don't have a
    > notes section, that's not saying much ...

    Thanks. I tested the patch on my setup, this time on top of Linus'
    tree (commit 6b7b284). And the patch fixes the issue, I can't
    reproduce the problem at all, both 'rmmod wl1251_spi' and ls work
    without any problems. So here's my tested-by:

    Tested-by: Kalle Valo <>

    Also please consider sending the fix to stable.

    Thank you for fixing this so fast.

    Kalle Valo

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-30 18:23    [W:0.020 / U:12.932 seconds]