    SubjectRe: trace/events: DECLARE vs DEFINE semantic
    On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 08:51 -0500, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:

    > > Basically, we should have a:
    > >
    > > kernel/sched_trace.c that includes the include/trace/events/sched.h and
    > > does the define.
    > >
    > > And the same goes for other trace points.
    >
    > Hmm, I'd rather like to move it into kernel/events/ or something new
    > sub directory, since those files will have just two lines (define and
    > include).

    I'm fine with a kernel/events dir.

    > >> e.g.
    > >>
    > >> @kernel/tracepoint.c
    > >> #define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
    > >> #include <trace/events/sched.h>
    > >> #include <trace/events/...>
    > >
    > > We could do this for all that is defined in the include/trace/events.

    > >> @kernel/sched.c
    > >> #include <trace/events/sched.h> /* Just include events header */
    > >>
    > >> @fs/ext4/super.c (no change, since it can be module)
    > >> #define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
    > >> #include <trace/events/ext4.h>
    > >
    > > Perhaps we should move out anything in include/trace/events that is also
    > > a module into its sub system?
    >
    > Would you mean putting those headers in sub-system's directory?
    > (e.g. fs/ext4/)
    > In that case, a problem will happen when user want to hook those
    > tracepoint from their module, because it is hard to find those
    > local headers.

    Why? Modules usually do have their own headers in their sub system.

    OK, if a module keeps their headers global (include/linux) then sure
    they can keep their tracepoint header in include/trace/events. But I
    still think that the module CREATE_TRACE_POINTS code should be kept with
    the module code itself (but in a small separate file).

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2009-12-03 14:57    [W:0.023 / U:0.356 seconds]