SubjectRe: RFC: disablenetwork facility. (v4)
Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):

> >> Now that I think about it this is really something completely separate
> >> from setuid. This is about being able to read the text segment with
> >> ptrace when you on have execute permissions on the file.
> >>
> >> I just skimmed through fs/exec.c and we set the undumpable process
> >> flag in that case so ptrace should not work in that case.
> >
> > And in fact you can't do a new ptrace_attach, but if you're already
> > tracing the task when it execs the unreadable-but-executable file,
> > then the ptrace can continue.
> >
> > Just looking at the code, it appears 2.2 was the same way (though I
> > could be missing where it used to enforce that).
> >
> > So, is that intended? What exactly would we do about it if not?
> > Just refuse exec of a unreadable-but-executable file if we're
> > being traced?
>
> In common cap we drop the new capabilities if we are being ptraced.
> Look for brm->unsafe.

Yes - that isn't the issue. The issue is with a file to which
we have execute permission but not read. If user hallyn has two
terminals open, and terminal one does ./foo then terminal two
cannot do strace -f -p `pidof foo`. But user hallyn can do
strace -f -p ./foo and succeed.

So we refuse ptrace_attach to an existing process with dumpable
turned off, but a pre-existing ptrace attach isn't affected by
executing a file which causes dumpable to be unset.

It goes back to finding a way to figure out what is inside the
file when the installer obviously thought we shouldn't be able
to read the file.

Do we care? <shrug>

-serge

  Last update: 2009-12-30 04:53    [W:0.139 / U:0.188 seconds]