    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
    On 12/24/2009 11:36 AM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
    >> As a twist on this, the VMware paravirt driver interface is so
    >> hardware-like that they're getting hardware vendors to supply cards that
    >> implement it. Try that with a pure software approach.
    > Any hardware engineer (myself included) will tell you that, generally
    > speaking, what you can do in hardware you can do in software (think of
    > what QEMU does today, for instance). It's purely a cost/performance
    > tradeoff.
    > I can at least tell you that is true of vbus. Anything on the vbus side
    > would be equally eligible for a hardware implementation, though there is
    > not reason to do this today since we have equivalent functionality in
    > baremetal already.

    There's a huge difference in the probability of vmware getting cards to
    their spec, or x86 vendors improving interrupt delivery to guests,
    compared to vbus being implemented in hardware.

    > The only motiviation is if you wanted to preserve
    > ABI etc, which is what vmware is presumably after. However, I am not
    > advocating this as necessary at this juncture.

    Maybe AlacrityVM users don't care about compatibility, but my users do.

      Last update: 2009-12-27 10:37    [W:0.022 / U:4.292 seconds]