    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
    On 12/23/2009 12:13 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:
    >> i.e. it has all the makings of a stupid, avoidable, permanent fork. The thing
    >>
    > Nearly. There was no equivalent of a kernel based virtual driver host
    > before.

    These are guest drivers. We have virtio drivers, and Xen drivers (which
    are Xen-specific).

    >> - Are a pure software concept and any compatibility mismatch is
    >> self-inflicted. The patches are in fact breaking the ABI to KVM
    >>
    > In practice, especially considering older kernel releases, VMs
    > behave like hardware, with all its quirks, compatibility requirements,
    > sometimes not fully understood, etc.

    There was no attempt by Gregory to improve virtio-net.

    >> It's a bit as if someone found a performance problem with sys_open() and came
    >> up with sys_open_v2() and claimed that he wants to work with the VFS
    >> developers while not really doing so but advances sys_open_v2() all the time.
    >>
    > AFAIK Gregory tried for several months to work with the KVM maintainers,
    > but failed at their NIH filter.

    It was the backwards compatibility, live migration, unneeded complexity,
    and scalability filters from where I sit. vbus fails on all four.

    >> The main difference is that Gregory claims that improved performance is not
    >> possible within the existing KVM framework, while the KVM developers disagree.
    >> The good news is that this is a hard, testable fact.
    >>
    > Yes clearly the onus at this point is on the vhost-net developers/
    > "pci is all that is ever needed for PV" proponents to show similar numbers
    > with their current code.
    >
    > If they can show the same performance there's really no need for
    > the alacrityvm model (or at least I haven't seen a convincing reason
    > other than performance so far to have a separate model)

    Anthony posted this:

    http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/summit/cwright_11_open_source_virt.pdf

    See slide 32. This is without vhost-net.

      Last update: 2009-12-23 11:27    [W:4.485 / U:0.128 seconds]