    SubjectRe: workqueue thing
    On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Andi Kleen <> wrote:
    > One reason I liked a more dynamic frame work for this is that it
    > has the potential to be exposed to user space and allow automatic
    > work partitioning there based on available cores.  User space
    > has a lot more CPU consumption than the kernel.
    Basically, this is exactly what I was trying to solve with my
    sched_wait_block patch. It was broken in all ways, but the ultimate
    goal was to have concurrency managed workqueues (to nick the term)
    in userspace and have a way out when I/O hits the workqueue.

    I'm currently in the progress of implementing this using perf_events
    and hope to send a patch in the near future (probably asking for some
    help to solve a couple of my issues).

    > I think Grand Central Dispatch does something in this direction.
    > TBB would probably also benfit
    Exactly my goal.
    I'd definately be happy if Tejun's work can be generalized to fit userspace
    as well. My sched_wait_block patch did exactly what his sched_notifiers
    do: notify the workqueue that a new thread should be scheduled to keep
    the CPU busy. Although as I understand, Tejun's reason for scheduling
    a new thread is rather to avoid deadlocks. Different thing, same way.