    SubjectRe: [Fdutils] DMA cache consistency bug introduced in 2.6.28
    Linus Torvalds <> writes:

    > It's not using the lapic for CPU0.
    > Using the HPET as a per-cpu timer is some crazy sh*t, since it's pretty
    > expensive to reprogram (compared to the local apic). And having different
    > timers for different CPU's is just odd.
    > The fact that the timer subsystem can do this and it all (mostly) works at
    > all is nice and impressive, but doesn't make it any less crazy ;)

    I suspect it's a system where the APIC timer stops in deeper idle
    states and it supports them. In this case CPU #0 does timer broadcasts
    when needed to wake the other CPUs up from deep C, but for that it has
    to run with HPET. At least the other ones can still enjoy the LAPIC

    This might suggest that Mark's floppy controller doesn't like
    deep C? Mark, did you try booting with processor.max_cstate=1
    and HPET enabled?

    -- -- Speaking for myself only.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-23 17:41    [W:0.019 / U:93.680 seconds]