    SubjectRe: git pull on linux-next makes my system crawl to its knees and beg for mercy
    From
    On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
    >> Hi Luis,
    >>
    >> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:26:29 -0800 "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I tend to always be on a 2.6.32 kernel + John's queued up patches for
    >>> wireless for the next kernel release (I use wireless-testing). My
    >>> system is a Thinkpad T61, userspace is Ubuntu 9.10 based (ships with
    >>> git 1.6.3.3) and I kept an ext3 filesystem to be able to go back in
    >>> time to 2.6.27 at will without issues.  I git clone'd linux-next a few
    >>> weeks ago. After a few days I then tried to git pull and my system
    >>> became completely unusable, It took *ages* to open up a terminal and
    >>
    >> The start of the daily linux-next boilerplate says:
    >>
    >>> If you are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use
    >>> "git pull" to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release
    >>> with the old one.  You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on
    >>> the wiki (see below).
    >>
    >> (Unfortunately, the wiki seems to be unavailable at the moment)
    >>
    >> I am guessing that the merge that git is attempting is killing your
    >> laptop (though besides the number of common commits I am not sure why).
    >> Please try using "get fetch" instead.
    >
    > Indeed, I learned my lesson now. Thanks for the details.
    >
    > Now granted, even if 'git merge' is killing my laptop due to the
    > conflicts of the insane merge I was trying to do it *still* should not
    > make my box completely unresponsive for so long. And given that I'm
    > using mostly distribution specific kernel config options and my have
    > ruled out my hard drive it seems a general serious kernel issue even
    > down to 2.6.27. Whatever git is doing I'm sure other userspace
    > software can also end up generating and would make any user go
    > completely bananas. I was about to rip my hair out.

    Git gurus would know it by heart, but I am not one. So if I were you,
    I would just do a generic diagnostic run. What is it git is doing
    so that machine slows down that much? Is it spawning a lot
    of running processes? Is it allocating/using so much memory
    that your box goes into a severe swap storm?

    I guess it is the latter. If it is, then it's not a kernel problem -
    kernel can't magically make your system adequately handle a workload
    which needs 3 GB for working set when the box only has 2 GB of RAM.
    It _will_ be very slow.

    --
    vda