    SubjectRe: RFC: A proposal for power capping through forced idle in the Linux Kernel
    On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:48:24 +0100
    Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

    > On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 16:19 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    >
    > > I like the general idea, I have one request (that I didn't see
    > > quite in your explanation): Please make sure that all cpus in the
    > > system do their idle injection at the same time, so that memory can
    > > go into power saving mode as well during this time etc etc...
    >
    > And then you're going to ask that it scales too, right? :-)
    >
    > Gang-scheduling is inherently non scalable, be it for idle time or
    > not.

    well... there's many ways to do this... one option is to agree, ahead
    of time, which jiffies values you're going to do the idle thing on.
    Say every 100 jiffies where jiffies % 100 is 0....

    then the scalability thing isn't a big deal.. and you still do it all
    at the same time. Or at least "enough" at the same time for it to not
    matter

    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2009-12-22 20:57    [W:4.445 / U:0.420 seconds]