SubjectRe: trace/events: DECLARE vs DEFINE semantic
Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> In addition, I wonder if we should rename "CREATE_TRACE_POINTS" to
> something more suitable while we are here ? Basically, it will affect
> all TRACE_CLASS/TRACE_CLASS_EVENT/TRACE_EVENT from headers included
> after it's defined.

Agreed, CREATE_TRACE_POINTS is a bit irritating thing :-(

For example, if we call tracepoints defined in same-header on
several different files, we need to check other people have
already defined CREATE_TRACE_POINTS on another file, because
CREATE_TRACE_POINTS must be used once for each header...

So, how about introducing a c file which is only for defining
tracepoints for kernel parts ? or defining tracepoints in
kernel at the beginning of kernel/tracepoint.c ? (and don't
touch tracepoints in modules)

e.g.

@kernel/tracepoint.c
#define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
#include <trace/events/sched.h>
#include <trace/events/...>

@kernel/sched.c
#include <trace/events/sched.h> /* Just include events header */
@fs/ext4/super.c (no change, since it can be module)
#define CREATE_TRACE_POINTS
#include <trace/events/ext4.h>

Hmm?

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com